Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Dear Mr. Vernon....

*Obi Wan Catnobi at his usual post overlooking the front porch where he watches in amusement as I shriek at the raccoons and opossums eating his food


And this is about how I'm feeling today--only without the opportunity to lay in the sun on the couch napping the day away. How is my husband who returned overseas just days ago, functioning quite normally despite the time change, yet I feel like I cannot stop yawning? Hhhm, perhaps because the Man does not have to motivate 3 kids with often conflicting personalities to go back to school after vacationing for almost 3 weeks. They were not only out for a 2 week Winter Break but also for 2 snow days and an extra day that I let them skip in order to take their dad back to the airport. And did I mention that missed Monday this week warranted a call from the TRUANCY OFFICER?! Really? Was that necessary?

How do so many high school kids around here spend their days smoking down by the river during 4th period, but my Honor Roll elementary aged kids have the T.O. called if they are not in homeroom? And God forbid I ever forget a Dr.'s note. I have had to actually have the pediatrician fax paperwork to the school just to prove that their absence was not unexcused.

I guess that I ought to be thankful that the the school system is observant and cares about the well-being of the students. And I guess I should also be thankful that they have pretty understanding teachers when it comes to these unexcused absences. But to be honest, it kinda bums me out that I can't steal my kids away for a surprise trip to the zoo on a sunny spring day, or give my ADHD 3rd grader a mental health break after SOLs without having them end up in Saturday school.

Please tell me this was the first thing that came to mind!!

No comments:

Post a Comment